Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #3)
Author: Ransom Riggs
Publisher: Quirk Books
Publication Date: September 22, 2015
Pages: 464
Format: Audiobook/Library

A boy with extraordinary powers. An army of deadly monsters. An epic battle for the future of peculiardom.

The adventure that began with Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and continued in Hollow City comes to a thrilling conclusion with Library of Souls. As the story opens, sixteen-year-old Jacob discovers a powerful new ability, and soon he’s diving through history to rescue his peculiar companions from a heavily guarded fortress. Accompanying Jacob on his journey are Emma Bloom, a girl with fire at her fingertips, and Addison MacHenry, a dog with a nose for sniffing out lost children.

They’ll travel from modern-day London to the labyrinthine alleys of Devil’s Acre, the most wretched slum in all of Victorian England. It’s a place where the fate of peculiar children everywhere will be decided once and for all. Like its predecessors, Library of Souls blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reading experience.


Review: I really loved Library of Souls! I didn't realize it, but this book was exactly what I was in the mood for. I have to say, I really think Library of Souls is my favorite out of the Miss Peregrine's books so far. I just had a much more enjoyable time listening to this than I did with the first two. I think I like that this one just felt a lot more fast paced and had more going on. There was just so many things we learned and things that happened. I loved it!

So I really enjoyed that a good chunk of the book took place in modern time. We see Jacob having to try to explain modern day things to Emma and Addison while also not raising suspicions of everyone in modern day London of what they are doing and why they are acting like they are. I really enjoyed seeing Jacob explain cosplayers and email. Things that seem so normal for us were so weird to them. I also loved seeing Jacob discover and work on his ability. We left off with him having discovered he could control a Hollow at the end of Hollow City. We see him learn how to better do that and then see him really come into his ability being able to control multiple at a time and just how strong his link with them was. We then finally learn that this was actually his grandfathers ability that he inherited. And then its explained why his grandfather didn't really seem to have it when he died when it was an ability that could have saved his life. We learned a lot more about Jacobs grandfather in this book and how all that relates to Jacob now and I really loved that.

I also just loved all the twists and turns the story took. A crazy boatsman that offers specific "tours" to an island called Devil's Acre, which is actually another loop. Devil's Acre itself. Peculiars being kept by slavers, weird happenings on the island, and even meeting Miss Peregrine's other brother living in a house there. We end up finding out that there's a lot of details left out of the story involving her brothers, seeing as the brother Jacob and Emma encounter isn't actually a wight. That was incredibly interesting to find out and to learn about the link he had with Jacobs grandfather was even more interesting. I also found the whole device he had that could access most time loops intriguing. It definitely opened up a whole new world for the peculiars to have access to. I also loved that we got so much more information into the Hollows and Wights. We learn much more about their origins and I feel like it gave me such a better view of everything.

 Ok, so I loved and hated the ending. I loved the whole brother against brother fight we see. One brother determined to have all of peculiardom bow down to him, the other deciding to right his wrongs and take him down. I really want to feel like he redeemed himself by trying to take down his brother even though he initially back-stabbed our characters and sided with him. I also loved that we got all our faves back. And I especially loved the twist we see at the very end about everyone's aging process due to the destruction of the loop Miss Peregrine's brothers were destroying with their fight. That was incredibly cool. What I wasn't a fan of? Again, Jacobs parents. God forbid they listen to a single thing that comes out of his mouth. They just look at their son like he's gone off the deep end and try to put him in the loony bin. I really do not like Jacobs parents. They are the type that refuses to listen to anything and just thinks what they assume is right. Honestly, they deserved the shock they got at the end with everyone coming to Florida to stop them from putting Jacob in the loony bin. I really can't wait to see how all this has ended up panning out in A Map of Days!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)