A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1)
Author: V.E. Schwab
Publisher: Tor
Publication Date: February 24, 2015
Pages: 400
Format: Audiobook/Library

Kell is one of the last Antari—magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel Londons; Red, Grey, White, and, once upon a time, Black.

Kell was raised in Arnes—Red London—and officially serves the Maresh Empire as an ambassador, traveling between the frequent bloody regime changes in White London and the court of George III in the dullest of Londons, the one without any magic left to see.

Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they'll never see. It's a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand.

After an exchange goes awry, Kell escapes to Grey London and runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She first robs him, then saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure.

Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they'll first need to stay alive.


Review: So I listened to this on audiobook and I really enjoyed it. The narrator did a great job. And this is my first V.E./Victoria Schwab book finished! Yay! I thought this was such an interesting book. I loved the whole idea with there being 4 different London's. And not all of them actually being London's in England. This was such a fascinating idea to me. I also loved how each London was unique in its own way. One dull, one with magic, one with ruthless bloody constantly changing leaders, and one so corrupted it had to be sealed off from the others. I just found everything about the different London's so interesting. I really hope we get to learn even more about them, especially Black London in the next books.

I thought Kell was definitely an interesting character. One of only two Antari around anymore. Literally one of two people that can actually go between all the London's (except Black since it's sealed off). He was really interesting. Officially being an Ambassador, bringing correspondence between the London's. But unofficially smuggling things from one London to the next. Definitely not the best side job. And of course that's what makes everything go wrong. But it was funny how he decided he didn't want to smuggle stuff and then gets the item from Black London forced upon him which starts the whole things with being on the run. Poor guy. Just when he decides he wants to stop and not get into trouble, he gets into trouble.

Lila was also an interesting character. She is a thief, and first comes into contact with Kell when she steals the stone from him. I definitely found it funny how she seriously thinks Kell is lying about the rock and magic and whatnot until she uses it herself. She seemed so unwilling to believe he was telling the truth until she makes the magic work. Then she all ready for an adventure. She definitely seemed to underestimate the amount of trouble following Kell because of the Black London stone though. She learned pretty quickly though. I really liked how Lila was determined to stay with Kell on her adventure, despite the danger. And there seems to be something special about her, according to others, even though its not completely seen what it is yet. I think that in itself makes Lila intriguing. definitely cant wait to see her development in the series!

Holland was something else. He's the other Antari, but clearly an evil son of a you know what. Trying to kill Kell, working so hard for Astrid and Athos (the rulers of White London) to get that Black London stone. Yeah, no. Like any of the three of them needed it. Absolutely not. Astrid and Athos in absolutely NO WAY needed that stone with how cruel and bloodthirsty of rulers they were. And Holland just didn't deserve it because he's a evil SOB. And unlike Kell wanting to toss it back into Black London, they were just going to keep it and use it in awful ways. Nope nope nope. Not a fan. However, I was a fan of the ending for all three of them. Holland got tossed where he deserves, though I'm sure we're not done with him yet. And the rulers of White London are no more. Also, on the topic of Holland. I really think the narrator did a great job of making him sound creepy and evil.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how things are going to play out in the second book. Obviously despite Lila departing at the end of this book, I know she'll be back and I'm curious as to what adventures she and Kell will have next. Like I said, I'm sure Holland isn't actually dead, so I'm curious how he will play into the next book, especially since he was tossed into Black London and I'm sure Black London is going to play a part in things somehow. And after what Kell did, binding Rhys's life to his to save him. I'm really curious how that will play a part in things to come.

I think the only thing that really bugged me about the book was that I really wanted more information about certain things. Like Kell and his relationship with the royal family. I mean we learn that they think of him as a son in a way and he definitely sees Rhys as his brother. And we also learn that keeping him in the family is also their way of keeping control of him. But I definitely want to see more of the relationships with them explored. Especially now with the whole thing involving Rhys being bound to Kells life. Seems like a great time to explore their relationship right?? I also want to see more of his involvements with Holland explored. I also thought some parts of the book were a little slow. I was a little bored with certain areas of the audiobook. But every book seems to have its slow parts, so I can't completely fault it for that.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I really like this series, but I agree about the slow parts and the lack of info about Kell’s family. You do learn more about the family as the series goes on, but it’s not enough.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Really?? That sucks. Well, at least there is a little bit more. That's something I guess. I mean, it's better than not learning anything else more. I'll have to get to the next book soon.

      Delete
  2. I want to read this author but have yet to do it. I have the first in one of her other series. I'm glad you like it. Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first book by Schwab. Definitely an interesting read/listen. I have her Monsters of Verity series on my shelves that I need to start sometime soon. Thanks!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)