Steel Scars (Red Queen #0.2) 
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: January 5, 2016
Pages: 85
Format: Physical/Own (Part of Cruel Crown)

Farley was raised to be strong, but being tasked with planting the seeds of rebellion in Norta is a tougher job than expected. As she travels the land recruiting black market traders, smugglers, and extremists for her first attempt at an attack on the capital, she stumbles upon a connection that may prove to be the key to the entire operation—Mare Barrow.



Review: While I thought this book was interesting and gave us some background regarding Farley, Shade Barrow and the Scarlet Guard, I did find it harder to like than Queen Song. I just didn't connect with Farley in this book compared to Coriane in Queen Song. And I feel like it was because of the fact it focused almost solely on Scarlet Guard/military like stuff. She's so engrossed in doing things that could give the upper hand to the Scarlet Guard, that we never really get to learn much about her as a person. I feel like I might have connected more had things not been 100% guard focused. However, I do think she possesses some good skills for finding the right people to get into the Scarlet Guard. 

I definitely think we could have done without some of the messages. While I definitely think some proved to be useful as actual reports with intel, others were just Farley and the Colonel going back and forth fighting over her choice to follow a lead that headquarters said not to. I kinda felt between the messages that didn't need to be included and some of the slower story with Farley that could have been left out without us missing anything key, the story was just a bit too long. It probably could have been about 60ish pages and still got everything across. 

My favorite part of this was definitely Shade. We get to meet Mare's brother! I thought Shade was just awesome! And we even learn a certain thing that is pretty awesome about him. Which also then leaves me wondering about the entire Barrow family and if there's something we're missing or thats being hidden. I also enjoyed reading things after Shade came in and seeing so many things I've been reading in Red Queen fit together. I thought it was pretty cool!

While it's not my favorite read, I would definitely suggest it to anyone who wants to get more Shade and read a bit of the backstory. 

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)