Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #1)
Author: Ransom Riggs
Publisher: Quirk Books
Publication Date: June 7, 2011
Pages: 352
Format: Paperback/Own

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow-impossible though it seems-they may still be alive. A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.


Review: I actually really enjoyed this despite being very skeptical of it when I first started it. I really liked the paranormal aspects of this. It was not what I was expecting at all but it turned out to be such a good surprise. I was incredibly engrossed in the mystery of the children's home Jacob's grandfather talked about and how it and the things Jake saw on the day his grandpa died played into everything. I also felt for Jacob cuz everyone was looking at him like he was freaking crazy after his grandpa died when he wasn't.

I was incredibly interested in the time loop. I was so lost but curious as to how Jacob ended up in 1940 all of a sudden. Then when the time loop was explained, it made more sense. I found it really cool but interesting that all the kids Jake's grandfather had pictures of and grew up with were still alive, living in this time loop. Time loops and time travel type things aren't used half as much as other ideas in books so I always find it fascinating when it is brought in. I thought it was fascinating how the time loop repeated each day for years. I mean, you see time loop stuff like this in Star Trek, but not in a lot of books. I also was intrigued by the fact there were multiple other time loops being run for other groups of peculiar children. I found the aging process outside the time loops interesting, and making complete sense. I also found it interesting how one time started moving forward again it acted like no time had past, but also had no effects on Jacob since he wasn't originally part of the time loop and actually from the future.

I am super intrigued by the peculiar children and their abilities. And by the fact Jacob is also peculiar but his grandfather kept the fact he knew Jacob was a secret. Poor guy had to find out all of a sudden from Miss Peregrine and the other kids. But him finding out that his is made him realize he wasn't crazy and that everything that he saw or was experiencing was because of it. I was pretty surprised Jacob just gave in to staying with the peculiar children and leaving his life, but in a way I understand. His family thinks he's a bit crazy and he knows they wouldn't believe the things he was telling them just like they never believed his grandfather. I loved seeing Emma and Bronwyn and everyone else show off and use their abilities. It's so fascinating. Plus its interesting to know they are passed down, even if they skip some generations. I'm definitely curious who else they will meet now and what abilities they will have. I have to say, I am a little weirded out by the whole Emma/Jacob love interest bit. Emma was in love with his grandfather. It's just weird.

One of my favorite things throughout this book was all the pictures. It really helped visualize the peculiar children and other scenes! I also loved that they were old timey and fit with the time loop time. You don't get a lot of fun visual aids to help visualize people or scenes in YA books. So it was such a treat to get all these! I'm really looking forward to more of these in the next book!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not big on time travel but I do like paranormal abilities; this sounds really good. Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I had zero expectations going into this book and it really surprised me with the story! :)

      Delete

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)