Destroy Me (Shatter Me #1.5)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: October 2, 2012
Pages: 150
Source: Kindle Book/Own

Perfect for the fans of Shatter Me who are desperately awaiting the release of Unravel Me, this novella-length digital original will bridge the gap between these two novels from the perspective of the villain we all love to hate, Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .


Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.

Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me, Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.


Review: I enjoyed this! I'm still not a fan of Warner but I don't hate him anymore either though. My attitude toward him, I guess you can say has neutralized. I do have to say though, that it took some getting used to from reading his perspective for me. I don't know what it was, but it just seemed really weird reading from his perspective at first for me. 

OK, so I found his feelings/obsession with Juliette a little creepy at first. Especially the fact that he was like "I'd seen her evolve as we spent time together; she seemed more comfortable as the weeks passed. Happier. At ease. I allowed myself to believe she'd seen a future for us." Really? Juliette had made it pretty obvious she despised you and you still think that? Not to mention the creepy dreams about her. OK, I guess I found Warner kinda creepy. Not all the time, but when we had to read his dreams and his delusional thoughts about her I did. 

I did really love however that he was determined to protect her from his ruthless father. Warner's father is determined to correct his sons mistakes, even if it means killing Juliette. Warner obviously doesn't want that, so hes determined to find Juliette before his father does and protect her from him. Now granted, I don't want him finding Juliette at all, but I'd prefer Warner finding her over his father if it comes down to that. I really dislike his dad. Warner shows in this book that he actually does have feelings, that he does have some humanity, and that he does let some people get away with things or not do certain things he should because of that. His father on the other hand just walks on in, killing people who didn't deserve to be killed, talking down to everyone, and doing what he saw right (which was definitely not right most of the time). 

4 Stars!

2 comments:

  1. I need to read this series! This book sounds great, the cover is stunning. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously think Mafi is playing a mind game on everyone lol! I know you said you didn't like Warner after book 1, but I did--at least as far as a bad guy. He was just so interesting (in a really creepy way). I think it was like you said. He does have some kind of interest in Juliette, and now I guess in this it looks like he wants to protect her from his father. But who going to protect her from him?? Maybe she'll protect herself ;) Anyway, thanks for this!
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)