Rift (Nightshade Prequel #1)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel
Publication Date: August 7, 2012
Pages: 431
Source: Hardcover/Library

Chronicling the rise of the Keepers, this is the stunning prequel to Andrea Cremer's internationally bestselling Nightshade trilogy!

Sixteen-year-old Ember Morrow is promised to a group called Conatus after one of their healers saves her mother's life. Once she arrives, Ember finds joy in wielding swords, learning magic, and fighting the encroaching darkness loose in the world. She also finds herself falling in love with her mentor, the dashing, brooding, and powerful Barrow Hess. When the knights realize Eira, one of their leaders, is dabbling in dark magic, Ember and Barrow must choose whether to follow Eira into the nether realm or to pledge their lives to destroying her and her kind.

With action, adventure, magic, and tantalizing sensuality, this book is as fast-paced and breathtaking as the Nightshade novels.


Review: This book was fantastic! A great start to her prequel series! While this series was connected to the Nightshade series, it was also a fantastic story on its own! I loved how Ms. Cremer created another fantastic, strong lead female character! I loved Ember! She would not let anyone control her life and I loved her so much for that. She knew what she wanted to do and didn't let anyone stand in her way, even her own family. Ember is such a strong girl! She did not choose the easiest road when it came to how she would serve Conatus! In fact, I'm pretty sure she chose the hardest. Lol. But she showed just how much she wanted to be there and just how valuable she can be to them. I couldn't believe the battles she fought without that much experience under her belt, but what surprised me more was how she managed to succeed so well in those battle even with her limited experience. It showed just how strong her will to fight was and how she was exactly where she needed to be.  

Alistair... At first I liked him because he seemed like a good friend to Ember. But my feelings toward him quickly changed when he tried to push himself onto Ember even when she pushed him away. After that I started to dislike him and that dislike only grew from then on. He would not take the hint that Ember seriously didn't like him that way and he just kept pushing and pushing. It was like how many times do you have to be rejected by her until you get it though your head that she doesn't want you like that. And then after he joined Eira in her alliance with *will be mentioned in later paragraph, as not to spoil yet* I was certain I was definitely not gonna like him then. 

Barrow. This guy. I like him. He acts like a tough guy on the outside, but he's actually got a heart under all that toughness. I loved how he took Ember under his wing to train her. Despite him being tough on her sometimes he was definitely a good teacher. And she definitely learned a lot from him. I do wish he would have admitted his feelings for Ember earlier though, because it definitely became obvious that he had feelings for her. I loved the two of them together when he finally maned up and kissed her! I was waiting so long to see it happen and I was so happy when he did. Those two are really good together (from what I've seen of them together so far)! I can't wait to see more of them!

I cannot believe Eira. She entered into an alliance with BOSQUE MAR. Yes, you saw that right. The same Bosque Mar who was a big bad guy in Nightshade. Guess it goes to show he never changes right. Once a bad guy always a bad guy. Ok, I'm pretty sure Eira is not blind and can see that what he's doing is wrong. Yet she agreed to aline with him anyways. She did it for herself, so she could have power. Definitely not a fan, though I definitely cannot wait to see exactly where this goes and how it causes the Rift between the Searchers and the Keepers! And I can't wait to get more into Bosque Mar's history so we can maybe learn why he's the way he is! 

5 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)