Dearly, Beloved (Gone With The Respiration #2)
Author: Lia Habel
Publisher: Del Rey
Publication Date: September 25, 2012
Pages: 496
Source: Galley/NetGalley

Can the living coexist with the living dead?

That’s the question that has New Victorian society fiercely divided ever since the mysterious plague known as “The Laz” hit the city of New London and turned thousands into walking corpses. But while some of these zombies are mindless monsters, hungry for human flesh, others can still think, speak, reason, and control their ravenous new appetites.

Just ask Nora Dearly, the young lady of means who was nearly kidnapped by a band of sinister zombies but valiantly rescued by a dashing young man . . . of the dead variety.

Nora and her savior, the young zombie soldier Bram Griswold, fell hopelessly in love. But others feel only fear and loathing for the reanimated dead. Now, as tensions grow between pro- and anti-zombie factions, battle lines are being drawn in the streets. And though Bram is no longer in the New Victorian army, he and his ex-commando zombie comrades are determined to help keep the peace. That means taking a dangerous stand between The Changed, a radical group of sentient zombies fighting for survival, and The Murder, a masked squad of urban guerrillas hellbent on destroying the living dead. But zombies aren’t the only ones in danger: Their living allies are also in The Murder’s crosshairs, and for one vengeful zealot, Nora Dearly is the number one target.

As paranoia, prejudice, and terrorist attacks threaten to plunge the city into full-scale war, Nora’s scientist father and his team continue their desperate race to unlock the secrets of “The Laz” and find a cure. But their efforts may be doomed when a mysterious zombie appears bearing an entirely new strain of the virus—and the nation of New Victoria braces for a new wave of the apocalypse.

Lia Habel’s spellbinding, suspenseful sequel to Dearly, Departed takes her imaginative mash-up of period romance, futuristic thriller, and zombie drama to a whole new level of innovative and irresistible storytelling.


Review: I don't know what to say besides I freaking LOVED this book! I definitely think this was better than the first one in many ways! It says a lot that this book topped Dearly, Departed, since I absolutely loved that book but it did! Not only did this book have that action we oh so love in books but it brought up some really good questions. Some of which were answered, some that were not. It was great!! I did like the multiple POV's, all expect Vespertines. I didn't get why hers was in there. Besides a little story to help with the plot there was really no point to it, especially since half her story was in other peoples chapters as well. Though with her POV in there we did see that she does have a bit of a heart and doesn't want certain people getting hurt. I really loved this new case of The Laz! Having Patient One with it and all that surrounded him made the story awesome! I do want to know what's up with these people that have it out for Z comp though. That's a really interesting story line that has yet to be explored more.

Nora! I seriously love this girl more than I did in the first book. She refused to just it on the sidelines. She wanted to be right up in the action, doing something to help instead of sitting around watching things happen. And I couldn't blame her. After all she went through and then with all the rising tensions about the Zombies living in the city (those close to her included), I would wanna be too! She wanted to protect those she cared about even if it put her in danger in the process. I found it really funny when Nora's dad grounded her. I mean seriously? Lol. He wasn't even home most of the time but yet one of the few times he is he grounds her? I get it, he was busy with the Laz vaccine and Patient One but that doesn't mean you can slack on your duties as a dad but then insert your authority when you do act like it. I have nothing against Dr. Dearly, I just thought he was being a bit hypocritical with that. I must say, I loved when Nora fake rebelled going out alone just to get her dad out of work and to actually pay attention to what was going on. 

Bram! <3 I don't think a Zombie can get any better than this guy! He tries his hardest to protect Nora at all costs, he tries to help and protect his Zombie friends at all costs as well and he was dead-set determined to figure out who was causing all the havoc in New London revolving around the Zombies. He even took it upon himself most of the time to track down the problems, get information on things that could happen etc etc. He seriously took on as much as he could handle and he did it pretty well. I know I'd want this Zombie on my side if faced with all that happened! I really loved Bram in regards to Nora though. It wasn't exactly his cup of tea being in New London being a Punk and all but he tried his hardest to do right by Nora and I respected him for that. He really loves her. 

Michael. I seriously wanted to punch this guy in the face... repeatedly. First of all, it annoyed me to death that he was so dead set on destroying Bram and taking Nora for himself. Are you kidding me? If she wanted to be with you Michael she never would have chose to stay with Bram after returning to New London. I was so annoyed with what he kept trying to do to the Dearly's and what he did to the Roe's. Seriously, payback on Pamela for disrespecting you? Uh, you definitely disrespected her way more than she did you. And the group he was involved in... I was glad that he got what was coming to him in the end. 

The ending! It was such a shocker but so so good! I totally didn't see it coming but I loved it so much. Nora and Bram are the cutest!!!!! <3 <3 <3 (I'm so not spoiling the ending for anyone, it's too good).

5 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)