Fever (The Chemical Garden #2)
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: February 21, 2012
Pages: 341
Source: ARC from Publisher/Won on Goodreads

Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.


Review: I thought this was a great sequel to Wither! I really enjoyed it! It was really eye opening. We got more of a first hand look at all that was going on in the world outside. I was really interested in the Scarlet District though (the circus thing). Jenna came from a district like that so you really got a sense of what she had to do and what she went through before she became a bride in Wither. Overall though, even with learning more about how Jenna lived previous to being a wife I was still way to happy when Rhine and Gabriel got away from the Scarlet District. I thought it was just wrong with what went on there. I was so worried about Gabriel when they left though because of the drugs that Madame had put in his system. Even though it caused him pain and gave him nightmares I was glad it worked its way out of his system. I also felt really bad for Rhine, especially after she got back to New York. It felt like she was losing hope every day that went by and she didn't find her brother. Not to mention she got sick which made me feel even worse for her. :( Poor Rhine.

Vaughn!!!! UGH!!!! Do I even have to repeat what I said in my review of Wither of how much I despise Vaughn?!?!?!?!? Why cant he just leave Rhine alone???? I mean first he follows her to the Scarlet District of which she has to escape from due to him showing up and then he freakin shows up in New York! UGH!!!!! And then on top of everything we find out he's part of the reason Rhine got sick! Like seriously, I despise Vaughn so much! I hold my position on that firmly after the ending of the book. The ending! I don't know what to think about the ending! I definitely cant wait for the next book to see where it goes!

4 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)