Sever (The Chemical Garden #3)
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: February 12, 2013
Pages: 371
Source: Hardcover/Library

Time is running out for Rhine in this conclusion to the New York Times bestselling Chemical Garden Trilogy.

With the clock ticking until the virus takes its toll, Rhine is desperate for answers. After enduring Vaughn’s worst, Rhine finds an unlikely ally in his brother, an eccentric inventor named Reed. She takes refuge in his dilapidated house, though the people she left behind refuse to stay in the past. While Gabriel haunts Rhine’s memories, Cecily is determined to be at Rhine’s side, even if Linden’s feelings are still caught between them.

Meanwhile, Rowan’s growing involvement in an underground resistance compels Rhine to reach him before he does something that cannot be undone. But what she discovers along the way has alarming implications for her future—and about the past her parents never had the chance to explain.

In this breathtaking conclusion to Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden trilogy, everything Rhine knows to be true will be irrevocably shattered.



Review: I have to say, this book did not even remotely go how I expected it to go. But that was ok because I enjoyed the story anyways. There actually wasn't much I disliked about the book. I felt like there was a HUGE amount of character development and realization. So I shall start with Rhine. She ended up in the hospital with Linden by her side after Vaughn found her. So I really had no idea what I even wanted her to do in this book besides find Gabriel. That's all I wanted her to do. But she took it upon herself to find her brother knowing that he was still alive, especially after finding out he was bombing labs in the name of her death (which was a total and complete lie). So after Rhine was released from the hospital she stayed with Lindens uncle Reed until she was well enough to go find her brother. I really liked Reed. He was one of the few first gens that actually seemed to care about things other than the cure. He felt way more human than some people like his brother Vaughn and ended up being really protective over Rhine, Linden, Cecily and Bowen when they were all staying with him! He would not let Vaughn take them back for anything! He helped Rhine, Linden and Cecily get away when Vaughn pretty much was gonna forced them back to the mansion. He even watched Bowen when they went on the run from Vaughn which also happened to be their trip to find Rhines brother. 

Rhine's brother Rowan. Ok. I was happy Rhine found him! But that effect quickly wore off. Come to find out, Vaughn had his hooks in Rowan since he had got his hands on Rhine! UGH!!! I really hate Vaughn! Rowan was brainwashed by him and wouldn't listen to a thing Rhine said about him. He defended Vaughn!!! I don't care that Vaughn was trying to work on the cure, he was still doing it in a very wrong way most of the time!

I definitely saw the biggest growth in Linden. Cecily grew a lot too but Linden definitely grew the most. He transformed from the brainwashed son to the son that finally knew exactly what his father was capable of! I was really proud of Lindens growth! You could really see how much in pained him realizing it too! He went from accusing Rhine of lying about his father to accepting the truth not only because Rhine told him that, but because Cecily also backed Rhine in knowing what Vaughn was capable of. I have to say, Cecily played a big part in making Linden realize and come to terms with things. I loved the growth in their relationship as well. He stopped being so infatuated with Rhine when it was clear she wasn't interested, and actually got really close to Cecily. I loved seeing the happiness and love that those two shared throughout the book! I was really sad though with what happened to Linden in the end of this book! After all the growing he did in this book just for it to end like it did (go read it to find out what happened! I'm not spoiling everything here!)... That just made me all kinds of sad. 

I did find all the info involving Rhine and Rowan and their parents very interesting! We found out the their parents really only considered them subjects. They got names only after they survived a while. And they weren't the first set of twins that their parents had. They were actually if I remember correctly, the third. They were only really concerned with finding a cure, not their children actually surviving. If Rhine and Rowan hadn't survived I bet there would have been more sets of twins. I really felt bad for Rhine having to find out all that info about her parents. 

I must say. The ending was kinda epic and not at all what I expected. Gabriel ended up being in the mansions basement the entire book because Vaughn put him in a coma after Gabriel followed Rhine back after getting sick! I was so happy when he was taken out of his induced coma! It was nice having Gabriel back! Cecily shooting someone! The cure actually working! Lindens uncle Reed taking over running the mansion! Definitely not how I saw it turning out, but yet still so good! 

4 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)