Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss #3) 
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Dutton
Publication Date: August 14, 2014
Pages: 339
Format: Hardcover/Own

Love ignites in the City That Never Sleeps, but can it last?


Hopeless romantic Isla has had a crush on introspective cartoonist Josh since their first year at the School of America in Paris. And after a chance encounter in Manhattan over the summer, romance might be closer than Isla imagined. But as they begin their senior year back in France, Isla and Josh are forced to confront the challenges every young couple must face, including family drama, uncertainty about their college futures, and the very real possibility of being apart.

Featuring cameos from fan-favorites Anna, Étienne, Lola, and Cricket, this sweet and sexy story of true love—set against the stunning backdrops of New York City, Paris, and Barcelona—is a swoonworthy conclusion to Stephanie Perkins’s beloved series.


Review: I loved Anna and Lola so it was no doubt I was going to thoroughly love Isla as well! I was definitely not disappointed by this. While I was kinda skeptical about Isla being like "I LOVE JOSH" any time she thought about him, I got past it. She's literally had a crush on this guy for years. So when he does start talking to her, its no wonder her heart just about explodes with love. I thought it was interesting how Josh also had feelings for Isla for a while but never wanted to tell her. He thought she was dating her best friend Kurt and didn't stand a chance. Poor guy. I loved that they were into each other and secretly crushing on the other and the other didn't even realize it. It was like how adorable. 

While Isla and Josh's relationship went pretty fast, it didn't feel like instalove or things happening faster than they needed to. It was like the fact they both wanted each other for years and finally have each other just brought out all the love and emotions and things they held in for so long. It felt like they fit together naturally. Isla encouraging Josh to be better, encouraging the things he's passionate about, helping him in the areas he struggled. And he's trying to show her that she does deserve to be loved, she is good enough, and trying to help her piece together what she wants to do with her future. I just love how well they fit together. 

I really enjoyed the growing each character did. Josh not only has to work on growing up and not skipping school, but he also has to come to terms with the fact he made a mistake going to school in Paris and that he's been intentionally trying to get kicked out. It just worked at the wrong time. He also has to come to terms with the fact his relationship with his family and friends is because he's distanced himself from them after certain things happened. Isla has to really grow and start thinking about her future and what she's going to do instead of just winging it thinking everything will work out. This was especially brought front and center when she receives letters from her top 2 choices for college and she got into one but rejected from the other even though she thought she'd easily get into both. She ends up applying to a third option as well that does accept her, but the rejection letter is really when her future college plans really start to hit her with the fact not everything is going as planned. She also has to work on getting over her insecurities with not feeling good enough or that anyone would really love her. This comes into plan when she breaks up with Josh because she thinks he thinks all that and finds herself incredibly miserable and finds out he's incredibly miserable over it as well. They both had to work through a lot of things, but in the end, they came out stronger. 

I loved loved loved the scene involving Anna and Etienne! Josh, Isla, Meredith, Lola and Cricket get to watch Etienne propose to Anna!!! It was so adorable and heart warming and such a sweet moment for all of us Anna fans!! :D It made me so happy! I also loved how our story took place in 3 main cities. Paris, New York, and Barcelona. I always love experiencing Paris in books, but I thought the addition of Barcelona was amazing as well! It sounded incredible. And of course it was cool seeing Josh and Isla in their home in New York. I've only vaguely been in New York, but I definitely think it'd be interesting to explore. 

5 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this series for years, but still haven't gotten around to reading it. It's great to see that you loved book 3! Maybe it's time to move it up the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took some convincing from other bloggers to get me to finally start them! But I definitely don't regret it. They are such fun fluffy contemporaries. Great for after a really heavy/dark book!

      Delete
  2. This serie is one I have wanted to read for ages. I love how they take place in different places, that's so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good! The fact they take place in a number of different places is part of why I love them! I love travelling in books!!! :D Plus I have to admit, I love that both Anna and Isla have parts that take place in Paris!

      Delete
  3. Maybe. I've been all those places, Paris, NYC and Barcelona. But this is YA so it's only a maybe. I'm glad you really enjoyed it. Anne - Books of My Heart.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)