Partials (Partials #1)
Author: Dan Wells
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: February 28, 2012
Pages: 468
Source: Hardcover/Library

The human race is all but extinct after a war with Partials--engineered organic beings identical to humans--has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by RM, a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island while the Partials have mysteriously retreated. The threat of the Partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to RM in more than a decade. Our time is running out.

Kira, a sixteen-year-old medic-in-training, is on the front lines of this battle, seeing RM ravage the community while mandatory pregnancy laws have pushed what's left of humanity to the brink of civil war, and she's not content to stand by and watch. But as she makes a desperate decision to save the last of her race, she will find that the survival of humans and Partials alike rests in her attempts to uncover the connections between them--connections that humanity has forgotten, or perhaps never even knew were there.

Dan Wells, acclaimed author of I Am Not a Serial Killer, takes readers on a pulsepounding journey into a world where the very concept of what it means to be human is in question--one where our humanity is both our greatest liability and our only hope for survival.



Review: I enjoyed this book so much more than I thought I would. I don't know why but I was hesitant to read this book, but it was calling to me to finally read it so I gave it a shot. So glad I did. This book was just awesome! I really wanna talk about Kira first. So here goes. I really liked her. I thought she was a strong main character! She is only what? 16. She's had to deal with a lot for a 16 year old and that showed in how strong of a character she was. She's lost her parents due to RM when she was 5, seen infants die because RM gets them either within hours or days of being born since there's no cure and she's dealt with all these rules the Senate has brought down upon her (some of which a 16 year old should not have to deal with.) I really loved though that she was so dedicated to saving humanity, even if it meant her going against the law pretty much to do it. And then on top of that, she went into enemy territory and brought an enemy back alive. That girl has guts. I definitely knew she was right studying a Partial to try and cure RM but I had no clue how exactly it would help cure it. Also, I really don't have an opinion on hers and Marcus's relationship, but I definitely do think they care about each other a lot. 

I thought the whole conflict with the Senate and The Voice was whack! The Senate was deadset on controlling people and The Voice was deadset on getting them to stop it. All The Voice wanted was for The Senate to repeal the Hope Act (the law mandating that girls a certain age or older have to get pregnant). I don't see why that was such a big deal when it was painfully obvious that the Hope Act wasn't working. Making more people have babies that aren't gonna be immune to RM isn't gonna help. The Senate was just determined to keep tight grip on everyone. I really wasn't a fan of The Senate. I honestly wanted them to fall. 

The Partials. Man, I totally wasn't expecting the news about their species that was revealed. Or that they were on a mission to East Meadow when Kira and her group attacked. I was surprised also with how they were built and how they could interact with each other. It was interesting to say the least. I wasn't surprised however that we found out that the Partials didn't release RM on the humans. I felt like that would have been to simple. I definitely think there's something bigger lurking out there.  

Now, Kira's little secret that she herself, and we readers found out at the end of the book. I wish I could say it was surprising, but it wasn't. I had this suspicion for a while reading the book that we were gonna find that out about her. I definitely cant wait to read Fragments to see where Kira's and the Partials stories go next!!!

4 1/2 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)