Enshadowed (Nevermore #2)
Author: Kelly Creagh
Publisher: Atheneum
Publication Date: August 28, 2012
Pages: 429
Source: Hardcover/Own

True love takes a twisted turn in the second book of this modern gothic romance trilogy channeling the dark brilliance of Edgar Allan Poe.

While Varen remains a prisoner in a perilous dream world where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life, Isobel travels to Baltimore to confront the dark figure known throughout the world as the Poe Toaster. This man, the same man who once appeared to Isobel in her dreams and abandoned her in Varen’s nightmare world, holds the key to saving Varen.

But when Isobel discovers a way to return to this dream world, she finds herself swept up in a realm that not only holds remnants of Edgar Allan Poe’s presence, but has also now taken on the characteristics of Varen’s innermost self. It is a dark world of fear, terror, and anger.

When Isobel once more encounters Varen, she finds him changed. And now Isobel must face a new adversary—one who also happens to be her greatest love.

Review: I'm not even sure what to say about this book. I really enjoyed it, but I felt like it fell flat in certain areas. Lets start with what I enjoyed. I loved Isobel's dedication to saving Varen from the Dreamworld. She really wasn't the same without him and you could see it. All she thought about was him, and saving him. I also loved how she didn't let anything get in her way! No matter how scared she was she didn't let that stop her from getting to Varen. She took on whatever was tossed her way. I also LOVED Gwen in this book! Despite her initial freakout at the beginning of the book, she overcame that and stuck my Isobels side and helped her in anyway she could. She even helped with the plan to save Varen even though she didn't exactly think it was the best idea to go confronting a demon. Gwen really showed her true colors in this book and proved to be a fantastic friend to Isobel (which is more than you can say about Izzy's other so called friends.) 

I also loved how even though the link to the dreamworld was supposedly severed in Nevermore when Isobel burned Varens journal, things were still getting through. It made me wonder how they were doing it, and how it could be stopped if the initial link didn't stop it. I was also still confused at what the people who were still connected to Isobel in the dreamworld were saying to her. I've never been one to understand poetry that well, but it seemed like the things she was being told were extra confusing. Lol. I also loved how Isobel took it upon herself to try and question the heck out of any of the people to come out of it and talk to her (like Pinfeathers). I couldn't blame her. She was confused about what they kept telling her and trying to question them about it was about the only way she could get some clarity. I really enjoyed how the dreamworld seemed to flow into the real world. Sometimes you couldn't tell which was which and the action involved in those scenes were great! So intense and you just didn't want to stop reading!

What I didn't enjoy in the book however was that there was seriously no Varen. There was small little bursts here and there, but that was it. The blurb made it seem like there would be this big face-off with him and Isobel when she finally finds him and it just didn't happen. That part totally fell flat for me. There wasn't much of a scene with the two of them and it kind of made the build up of everything else in the book disappointing. I still don't know what to make of the ending. But besides that I loved the book!


4 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)