Spark (Sky Chasers #2)
Author: Amy Kathleen Ryan
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication Date: July 17, 2012
Pages: 309
Source: ARC from Publisher

Waverly and Kieran are finally reunited on the Empyrean. Kieran has led the boys safely up to this point, and now that the girls are back, their mission seems slightly less impossible: to chase down the New Horizon, and save their parents from the enemy ship. But nothing is truly as it seems…Kieran’s leadership methods have raised Seth’s hackles— and Waverly’s suspicions. Is this really her fiancé? The handsome, loving boy she was torn from just a short time before? More and more, she finds her thoughts aligned with Seth’s. But if Seth is Kieran’s Enemy No. 1, what does that make her?

In one night, a strange explosion rocks the Empyrean—shooting them off course and delaying their pursuit of the New Horizon—and Seth is mysteriously released from the brig. Seth is the most obvious suspect for the explosion, and Waverly the most obvious suspect for releasing him. As the tension reaches a boiling point, will Seth be able to find the true culprit before Kieran locks them both away—or worse? Will Waverly follow her heart, even if it puts lives at risk? With the balance of power precarious and the clock ticking, every decision counts… every step brings them closer to a new beginning, or a sudden end...


Review: This book was even better than Glow! There was so much going on! There was always something going on between people on the ship, whether it be fights, suspicion of things done, a leader overstepping his authority or actually action of something happening and everyone freaking out or trying to fix it! So much happened in this book. I wanna start off with Kieran. He seemed like a much better guy in Glow and I was disappointed in the change in him in Spark. He turned into a monster at points and Waverly had every right not to trust him or even want to listen to him anymore because of that. I mean she had just escaped the monster that was Anne Mathers and all the horrors above the New Horizon and then Kieran starts acting like her in many ways. That's definitely a way to make someone who used to trust you and love you not even like you much anymore. And then with the way he treated so many people aboard his ship. He wasn't acting like a leader, he was acting like a self righteous jerk most of the time and I was disappointed that he changed this much. I was disappointed that he wouldn't let others help him or even talk to him when they could have given him vital information that could have helped save the ship, or at the least, aided in helping find the terrorist or preventing things from happening. I was also disappointed in the fact that he had Waverly followed. He should have known that she wasn't behind the attacks or even helping or aiding in them. I was just really disappointed in Kierans massive change in character in Spark. It wasn't what I was expecting to see. 

Seth. Despite the fact that I didn't like him for what he did to Kieran in Glow I did a 180 with him in Spark. I really felt for him. Yes he got what he deserved by being locked up in Glow but Kieran had no reason to accuse him of being a traitor and sabotaging their mission and messing with the ship. Seth could be a bad person, but not that bad of a person. Kieran really went overboard with his accusing Seth of stuff and not even listening to him when if he would have certain events might have been prevented or not as bad as they were. I just felt so bad for Seth, he got hurt like no freaking tomorrow, was forced to hide from everyone but Waverly when he was mysteriously let out of his cell and figured out a ton of stuff about the terrorist but either no one listened to him or he took all the blows himself and was still treated like garbage. I thought it was so messed up. And Waverly. She was trying to be as strong as she could be after what she'd been though, especially after she comes back to the Empyrean just to find it reminding her heavily of the New Horizon. And all the stuff Kieran was putting her through was just so unfair. I mean she already felt bad that she could save the parents as well when they escaped the New Horizon and then he has to add to that? Acting like she never meant anything to him and then accusing her of things he really should have know she would never do. It just never ended for Waverly and I felt bad for her. I was glad she stood up though and made then vote for leaders and such. It took away some of Kieran's power and even though he didn't like it, it was better for everyone on the ship. I was really scared for both Seth and Waverly before the terrorist was caught that they'd get hurt if he found them. I was right to be scared. The ending! OMG! I can't believe that ending! The Empyrean getting ruined, and it not even being the terrorist being the person behind it. I was shocked when I found that out. I was also happen Waverly was able to get Seth out of the Brig after the explosions. I am however very unhappy that it looks like they all now have to go and live on the New Horizon. I'm not pleased with that being their only option now! Although I cant wait for the next book to see what happens with that now! And I think I know what Seth was planning at the end of the book, I have a very strong hunch so I hope I later find out I'm right or close to right about it and that my liking him in this book wasn't for nothing. 

5 Stars! 

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)