Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death #1)
Author: Bethany Griffin
Publisher: Greenwillow
Publication Date: April 24, 2012
Pages: 320
Source: Hardcover/Library

Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.


Review: This book wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it none the less. I wasn't expecting some of the darker scenes and definitely some of the twists and turns this book took. What I found the most sad about this book was the way the bodies of the dead (or so thought to be) we're disposed of. They were just picked up and tossed into a cart and brought to the swamps. I mean, I get it the bodies were diseased and you didn't want others to be around them and touch them but just tossing them like that... It was kinda insensitive. But hey, they did what they had to do I guess. I thought the whole thing with the masks sucked! They were kinda helpful in at least trying to not get the plague but only the rich could afford them. And those who wanted to make them available to everyone couldn't because they would have got in huge trouble, so they had to try doing it in secret. It totally wasn't fair at all. And just in general, I really didn't like the prince. He did some really mean things, especially near the end with Araby's mother and that made me really not like him. I do like Araby's parents though! Despite that they seemed over protective at times (which they kinda had every right to be) it showed how much they loved and cared about her even though she felt like they would never love her as much as they did her brother.

Will and Elliot... Lets start with Elliot. I didn't like him as a person at first. It took me a little bit to warm up to him but eventually I did find myself liking him. I thought it was so awesome what he was trying to do in secret, trying to make masks available to everyone, but then his plans got thwarted so that kinda sucked. But hey, the idea was still pretty awesome. I also liked how he did eventually start to actually care about Araby even though in the beginning he was trying so hard not to. Will... I liked Will from the start, with him the feelings are opposite of Elliot and I liked him until he did something that made me not like him as much. What he did to Araby in the end made me not like him as much though I am glad he is still ok with what was happening in the city at the end. I really liked how he really cared about his brother and sister and would do anything for them. I also liked how he cared about Araby and her well being at first and that even when he didn't have to he took care of her. But after what he did at the end I'm not sure of my feelings for him now. This book was definitely a success in regards to it being based on a Edgar Allen Poe story! I am definitely looking forward to the next book though to see where this story goes!

5 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)