Struck (Struck #1)
Author: Jennifer Bosworth
Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux (BYR)
Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Pages: 373
Source: Galley from Netgalley

Mia Price is a lightning addict. She's survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn't who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.


Review: I liked this book a lot! I loved the story line of Mia being a lightning addict! The story wasn't exactly what I was picturing before I read this but it was definitely good and interesting none the less. When I was reading this I kinda had a flashback to a apocalyptic movie I really liked (I couldn't tell you the name right off the top of my head) relating to the whole Prophet, followers, televangelist thing.  As soon as I pictured that relating to the followers I took an immediate dislike to them. Not to mention for "Godly people" they were rude and pushy. I just didn't like them. And like I said, the whole Prophet business had me disliking them from the start anyways. The Seekers I couldn't really make up my mind on. They seemed pushy too, but then seemed like they really wanted to help Mia; it kept going back and forth like that so I didn't really make up my mind about them until closer to the end. I really wish Mia wasn't so back and forth between who to trust though. I would have liked to see her more on one side rather than trusting then not trusting. Again with the back and forth. I just felt like it went back and forth just a little too much. I did think the fact that people had different powers from being struck by lightning was cool though, I would never have thought most of those would have been caused by lightning strikes which made the story kinda unique in a way. 

Jeremy. Oy... What to say about him?? I didn't like him at first; but then as he tried to help Mia understand her power I grew more fond of him. I couldn't figure out which side he was on though. He was a mystery to read (at least for me). I was surprised at all the info that came out about the side he was or wasn't on. I wasn't expecting all that. I did love though that after Mia finally let him in he never left her unprotected anymore than he had to. And he brought her back into her right mind after Prophets little stunt. He definitely earned my favor after that. Mia. A few words. Make up your mind! Lol. She did what she had to in the end an saved everyone (and saved LA from becoming worse than it was already) which made up for her indecisiveness. Oh! And she helped expose Prophet for the scam he was! SO SO GLAD she did! And I'm glad Mia and Jeremy were able to be happy in the end! 

4 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)