The Secret Circle: The Initiation and The Captive Part I
Author: L.J. Smith
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: August 1, 2008
Pages: 396
Source: Paperback/Own

The circle's power has lured her home.


Forced to move from sunny California to gloomy New England, Cassie longs for her old life. Even so, she feels a strange kinship to a terrifying group of teens who seem to rule her school. Initiated into the coven of witches that's controlled New Salem for hundreds of years, she's drawn into the Secret Circle, a thrill that's both intoxicating and deadly. But when she falls for the mysterious and intriguing Adam, Cassie must choose whether to resist temptation or risk dark forces to get what she wants—even if it means that one wrong move could ultimately destroy her.

Review: Let me start off with the fact that its really nice to be reading about witches. It's a nice change from all the vampires, werewolves, faeries and countless fallen angels. I enjoyed this book so much!!!!! I loved how it starts out with Cassie meeting a mysterious guy who seems to awaken something inside her. Then Cassie is forced to move from Cali to New England where she has to start out at a new school and make new friends which seems really hard for her in the beginning. I really liked how that issue is brought up. Many people go through that in real life and reading about someone in a book going through the same thing made me feel like I wasn't alone when that happened to me. I know from experience that its hard to move and make new friends at a new school. It was interesting how when she finally talked to someone at her new school and someone brought up the street she lived on there was a change in mood, like the road had significance. As the story goes on the significance of Crowhaven Road is explained, as the street the original witches of Salem lived on when they moved to New Salem after the witch trials. I liked how eventually Cassie finds out herself that she herself is a witch and is brought into the circle. The rituals were explained so well, very detailed, like you were in the ritual yourself.

The Captive Part I was fascinating. The whole Cassie being Faye's captive was an interesting way to look at blackmail. It was odd because you never figured out the whole reason behind Cassie being Faye's captive. I mean there was the obvious using Cassie to try to become coven leader but beyond that there wasn't much idea otherwise. The murders were odd too, especially with the realization Cassie comes to at the end of the book about them. It gave a pretty good cliffhanger. I liked that throughout both parts of the book there was Cassie fighting her feelings for Adam because he was taken (by her best friend and adopted sister, Diana) despite the strong pull they feel towards each other. I know many people also go through that in real life too. It was very nice that some real life things that affect teens were put into the book. I found the book very interesting and enjoyable. I would definitely suggest it to others. I'd also suggest anyone who plans on watching the show read the books so that you have some idea of whats going on. :)


No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)