Nightshade (Nightshade #1)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: SPEAK (Penguin Group)
Publication Date: October 19, 2010
Pages: 454
Source: Paperback/Own

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she’ll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters’ laws by
saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything - including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

Review: This book had me hooked from the start. Not many books hook me on the first page, even the first sentence but this one did. Now, this book wasn't what I thought it would be. I was expecting something different but what I got was so much better. It is a great book and the twists kept you on the edge of your seat. At least for me it did, sometimes I'd finish a chapter and have to put the book down for a couple mins to prepare myself for what was about to happen next.

Calla is a very strong main character. She's a very likeable character but she's also tough and cares about her pack. She also is her own person even though being her own person got her close to breaking the rules sometimes. I liked how even when things started falling apart she still tried to stand up for what she believed in. I also liked most of the other characters like Ansel, Bryn & Ren. I'm gonna say it right now. I'm Team Ren all the way. I just don't like Shay. I didn't like how Calla fell for him so easily and in all honesty I just feel Ren is a better match for her. If Shay were just a friend I might like him. I'd like to learn more about Ren personally; I feel like there's still so much we don't know about him. I'd also like to learn more about both Calla and Rens pack mates.

The packs. Theres the Nightshade and Bane packs. I really liked both packs honestly but I felt if say there was one that you'd have to be friends with I'd go with the Nightshades. They seemed a little more nicer than the Banes. I also felt more of a connection to the Nightshade pack because they were talked about more and it just seemed like they were more open to different ideas.

The wolf politics. Some of it was just wow. I found it so weird that Ren was able to date whoever he wanted but Calla had to stay pure until the union. I also just found the rules in general depressing. Not really being able to choose who your with, male dominance. It all seemed depressing to me. I wanted Calla to stand up more to Ren but she did what she could when she had the chance. I loved the information Calla and Shay found that turned Calla's world on its head. It showed just how many lies were told to her and gave you so many questions.

I loved the ending, it was a great cliffhanger and I cant wait to read Wolfsbane. I'd definitely recommend this book to others. It was amazing!!!!!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)