Bogus to Bubbly (An Insider's Guide To The World Of Uglies)
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: October 27, 2009
Pages: 196
Source: Paperback/Own

THE WORLD OF UGLIES, SET IN OUR NOT-SO-DISTANT FUTURE,is a complex place filled with bubbly technology and lingo, yet bogus rules about status and appearance. That's why a guide to the world of uglies has been requisitioned from the hole in the wall. Inside you'll find: 

A rundown on all the cliques, from Crims and Cutters to tech-heads and surge-monkeys

The complete history, starting with the destruction of the oil bug to the launch of Extras in space
How all those awesome gadgets came to be: hoverboards, eyescreens, skintennas, sneak suits...


PLUS an exclusive look at Scott Westerfeld's first draft of Extras -- starring Hiro, not Aya.

And so much more, it's mind-wrecking.

Review: So this is the guide to everything in the Uglies trilogy. Let me say this was great! If there was anything you wondered about or had questions about in the books this explains it all. I thought for the most part I understood most of it but I still learned stuff from this guide, which only made me understand the books even better. Scott explains everything from how he got the idea for the books to the "rusty" history, which I really enjoyed. He also explains the names, gadgets, cliques and he even includes a map so you can better visualize how the cities were set up. This is one of the most detailed guides I've read to a series of books. My fave part about the guide was the rusty history & the gadgets. I loved the history because it explained what happened to make the rusties extinct basically. It basically explains what could happen to us if we continue on the path we're on, you know, consuming all the resources of the earth and what not. It also explains how most of the gadgets are actually pretty close to stuff we have now or not that far off in the future. Like hoverboards, obviously they are off in the future but the solar power they run on is something we are working on today. The gadgets; the city interface is basically like the internet but with no privacy at all. Not to mention the position finder, water purifier and self heat food are all similar to things we already have now. The position finder obviously is a GPS, water purifier is self explanatory and the self heating food is similar to military MREs (Meals Ready to Eat). Like I said before, this is one of the best guides I've read to accompany a series. I definitely suggest fans of the Uglies trilogy buy this to keep with their books. :)


No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)