Elusion (Elusion #1)
Authors: Claudia Gabel & Cheryl Klam
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: March 18, 2014
Pages: 382
Format: Paperback/Library

Soon, Elusion® will change the world and life as we know it.

A new technology called Elusion is sweeping the country. An app, visor and wristband will virtually transport you to an exotic destination where adventure can be pursued without the complications—or consequences—of real life.

Regan is an Elusion insider. Or at least she used to be. Her father invented the program, and her best friend, Patrick, heir to the tech giant Orexis, is about to release it nationwide. But ever since her father’s unexpected death, Regan can’t bear to Escape, especially since waking up from the dream means crashing back to her grim reality.

Still, when there are rumors of trouble in Elusion—accusations that it’s addictive and dangerous— Regan is determined to defend it. But the critics of Elusion come from surprising sources, including Josh, the handsome skeptic with his own personal stakes. As Regan investigates the claims, she discovers a disturbing web of secrets. She will soon have to choose between love and loyalty…a decision that will affect the lives of millions.

Suspense, thrills, and romance fuel this near-future story about the seductive nature of a perfect virtual world, and how far one girl will go to uncover the truth behind the illusions.



Review: I really looked forward to reading this book. I enjoyed Elusion very much. I was very interested in this idea that the Elusion technology could let you escape real life for a while. I really enjoyed getting to know Regan as a character and actually found her quite relatable. In a good amount of stories the characters seem not to have the issues and drama of a normal person. Regan does have that. From getting into fights at school with someone who doesn't like her and getting detention, to having a friend who seems bad but actually isn't while the supposed "real" friend isn't actually acting like a good friend at all. All that sounds more closely related to the real life of a teenage girl. Sounds perfectly like high school. I liked that I could relate to her having those experiences that any of us could have had in high school. That made the story much more enjoyable to read.

However, I didn't exactly like Patrick. He seemed like one of those on and off again friends throughout the story. First its "I'm your best friend, I'll do anything for you," then it's "I can't talk to you about anything, leave me alone." Not to mention the fact that he didn't seem to be there when Regan needed him or listen to anything she said. And don't even get me started on the jealous jerk he was over Regan and Josh. Regan made it pretty clear to him that she was not interested in him as more than a friend yet he still acted like she was his and his alone. I did like Josh more however. I was not the biggest fan of him not telling certain things to Regan but unlike Patrick, he actually apologized for his mistakes. He actually tried to make things right which made me like him a lot more.

I was actually surprised by what happened in parts of the story. I didn't see coming what actually happened to Regans father (I won't spoil it). I was actually blindsided by the truth about it and who was involved. I was also surprised at the people behind it doing what they did. Up until I read that scene I didn't think those people were involved at all. I was also surprised at the end of the book discovering the Ether World. It doesn't sound anything like I initially thought it was going to be like. It will be interesting to see what happens in it in the next book.

The one thing I didn't like with the book is that the world building was lacking some. We get the general information that it's in the future Detroit. However, we don't get much detailed information as to how the city ended up the way it did or much as to how it looks. We just know it's in Detroit, the air isn't great and the city is split up into sectors. I would have liked a more detailed idea of how things actually looked!

Overall I really enjoyed the book!

4 Stars!

1 comment:

  1. The cover for this one is so pretty so I'm glad to hear the book itself is good too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)