Three (Article 5, #3)
Author: Kristen Simmons
Publisher: Tor Teen
Publication Date: February 11, 2014
Pages: 384
Source: Hardcover/Library

Ember Miller and Chase Jennings are ready to stop running. After weeks spent in hiding as two of the Bureau of Reformation’s most wanted criminals, they have finally arrived at the safe house, where they hope to live a safe and quiet existence.

And all that’s left is smoking ruins.

Devastated by the demolition of their last hope, Ember and Chase follow the only thing left to them—tracks leading away from the wreckage. The only sign that there may have been survivors.

With their high profile, they know they can’t stay out in the open for long. They take shelter in the wilderness and amidst the ruins of abandoned cities as they follow the tracks down the coast, eventually finding refugees from the destroyed safe house. Among them is someone from Chase’s past—someone he never thought he’d see again.

Banding together, they search for a place to hide, aiming for a settlement a few of them have heard about…a settlement that is rumored to house the nebulous organization known as Three. The very group that has provided Ember with a tiny ray of hope ever since she was first forced on the run.

Three is responsible for the huge network of underground safe houses and resistance groups across the country. And they may offer Ember her only chance at telling the world her story.

At fighting back.



Review: Out of all three books in this series, “Three” has got to be my absolute favorite! I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire book! I felt that this was a very satisfying ending to the series, despite the intense heartbreak of so many people dying. I loved that “Three” picked up right where “Breaking Point” left off.

I loved how much action was packed into this book! There never seemed to be a dull moment. From the moment Chase and Ember set out following the tracks left by the group from the safe house up until the very end after Three’s attack against the FBR there was always something going on. Chase, Ember and the group encounter many other groups throughout their journey, almost all of which were hostile toward them until they found out who they were. Every time they came across a group of people my heart started beating faster because I knew there was going to be some fighting before someone realized who they were. If there wasn't action in the way of fighting, there was action in the way of planning. Someone somewhere was always coming up with a plan for attack or to get somewhere or do something important. “Three” definitely was more satisfying in terms of getting away from the focus on romance that was in the first book.

I also enjoyed the character growth in this book. Chase and Ember definitely grew in terms of their relationship in this book, without the book being focused on it. It was very satisfying to see Chase stop trying to protect Ember all the time and look at her more as an equal in terms of fighting and helping further the cause of the resistance. It was also satisfying seeing Ember really come into her own in this book. She went from a girl trying to stay under the radar in the first book to a girl who put herself in the spotlight to help Three gain more support against the FBR. She also was willing to do whatever necessary to fight for what she believed in, and even more so to fight for those she loved. In terms of character growth, I definitely feel like Ember grew the most throughout all three books. I also loved seeing Sean and Rebecca’s relationship grow, and Rebecca become a little more independent even though she had her handicap to deal with. And in terms of friendship, I definitely felt like these four grew a lot as friends to each other throughout this book.

I also liked having a few new characters introduced as well. I enjoyed Jesse (Chase’s uncle) and Dr. DeWitt being introduced. They definitely added intrigue into the story. They were two characters I never felt like I completely trusted (and there was good reason for that explained throughout the book), but overall, I trusted them more than I didn't due to being associated with Three. One person I still didn't trust overall was Tucker. He acted like he was all about the resistance, but we find out he still has his FBR ties and was involved in some of the resistance houses being found. I really wanted to trust him after “Breaking Point”, but I always knew in the back of my head he was still a problem for the resistance. There were a few characters in “Three” however, that I did not expect at all to see again after the events of “Breaking Point.” 

In the end, I was satisfied with how everything ended. I was sad over many of the deaths that occurred in the final chapters, but was overall pretty happy with the attack that Three launched crippling the FBR.

5 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)