Rise (Nightshade Prequel #2)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel
Publication Date: January 8, 2013
Pages: 385
Source: Hardcover/Library

The sequel to Rift and the prequel to the New York Times bestselling novel Nightshade.

Everything Conatus stands for is at risk. Hoping to gather enough resistance to save their order, Ember and Barrow attempt a desperate escape. But fate offers little mercy. When their mission is exposed, the  couple face relentless pursuit by the supernatural horrors that act on the commands of Eira’s ally: the mysterious Bosque Mar. A shocking revelation forces Ember out of hiding, sending her back into the heart of dark magic at Tearmunn keep, where she must convince her old friend Alistair of her love or face dire consequences. Ember’s deception offers the only chance for the resistance to succeed, but what she discovers in the shadows beneath the keep will shatter her world and bring about the Witches’ War.

Richly sensual and full of magic, action and danger, Andrea Cremer's fifth book set in the Nightshade world is an edge-of-your-seat page turner.



Review: I really loved Rise!!! But I didnt love it as much as I loved Rift. I felt like there were some moments that were lacking. I mean, the whole book was interesting. But some stuff was seriously predictable and even though they should have been some huge scenes, they really didnt seem that huge to me when I saw them happening. And then some of the scenes where the group was traveling, or trying to figure out what to do next in regards to taking down Eira were also kinda boring. I mean it was interesting at some points, but many of those scenes had a hard time keeping my attention. 

Ok, so I wanna start with Ember and Barrow. I still really love these two together! They really are cute together and you can definitely see the bond between them! That being said, I felt like their relationship was just completely stalled after they went on the run. I mean they had a few moments together that were awesome, but it just seemed like after going on the run they really didnt progress in their relationship. It was pretty much just stuck in the same spot the entire book and that kinda saddened me. I was really looking forward to seeing their relationship grow in this book and it just didnt happen. On the topic of Ember alone, I definitely felt like she stepped up a lot in this book. She did the heavy lifting when she needed to in order to save and protect those she loved. But she also wasnt afraid to put herself in danger and do what she desperately didnt want to as well to help the resistance. I was very happy seeing her really step up in this book! 

Alistair... Man. Ok. I thought he was bad at the end of the last book. I swear my disgust with him went through the roof in this book... Seriously... He was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to creepy whenever he thought about Ember. Oh, and he was still delusional when he thought there was no other person Ember could be interested in. I seriously just got grossed out and creeped out whenever I read any of Alistairs POV's! Also, I'm very sad at how much Bosque corrupted him. It was extremely sad. It was sad how many people Bosque and Eira corrupted in general. Another thing I found creepy, Eira and Bosque's relationship once it developed into something more. That creeped me out as well. Wasnt a fan of reading the intimate details of their relationship. 

I really did enjoy seeing how the Keepers (I see how they got their name now) and the Searchers came to be. It definitely filled in the blanks about their origins and whatnot. I definitely found that stuff the most interesting in the book. I also loved seeing the familiar words and places we learned about and saw and heard in the Nightshade books! Those similarities definitely tied those stories very well together! I'm definitely glad we got the prequel books to learn more about how the Keepers and Searchers came to be!

4 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)