Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura #1)
Author: Jonathan Maberry
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: September 14, 2010
Pages: 458
Source: Paperback/Library

In the zombie-infested, post-apocalyptic America where Benny Imura lives, every teenager must find a job by the time they turn fifteen or get their rations cut in half. Benny doesn't want to apprentice as a zombie hunter with his boring older brother Tom, but he has no choice. He expects a tedious job whacking zoms for cash, but what he gets is a vocation that will teach him what it means to be human.

Review: I don't know what it was about this book but I just didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I didn't really find it that interesting until closer to the end. I seriously found the first half of the book boring. It was like Benny: "I hate Zoms!" "They took my parents from me!" "I also hate Tom, he didn't fight to save our parents, instead he ran away." And then he was like "I don't wanna have to get a job, I'm only doing it because I have to." Honestly, I felt like he was just complaining throughout the first half of the book. It got really annoying to read. 

I started liking the book when Benny and Tom went looking for Nix after she was taken. Benny finally started acting more mature when they did that and I started enjoying the book more because of it. I also enjoyed the fact that he finally let Tom explain things to him and that he finally understood why Tom took him and ran. I am also happy that Nix and Benny finally made their feelings for each other obvious. I took them almost the entire book! I'm also glad that Tom ended up being ok after he fell into the horde of Zombies and that thanks to his help they took down Charlie Pink-Eye and his accomplices at Gameland. I am definitely curious about the plane they saw though. So I will be reading the next book. 

3 1/2 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)