The Girl Of Fire And Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1)
Author: Rae Carson
Publisher: Greenwillow
Publication Date: September 20, 2011
Pages: 424
Source: Hardcover/Library

Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.
 
Elisa is the chosen one. 


But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will.
Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.


And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.


Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.


Most of the chosen do.


Review: I'll admit this right out. I had no expectations for this book what so ever. I really couldn't figure out what the book was about based on the blurb (above) and that made me not really that interested in reading it. But a few of my blogger friends said I should and that it was actually good so I went to the library and got it. By the end of the book I was so happy that I listened to those friends about reading it! I loved this book! At first I was confused about the whole Godstone thing and why Elisa had to be so closely protected because of it, but I understood why after reading a few chapters. At first it was kinda slow, but even in the slower parts there was still action which made it interesting. Like the random attack on the way to Joya d'Arena, and her Husbands son (he was very bratty at the beginning). I also found how her husband wouldn't take an action to help other countries interesting and it showed how he was. Not doing anything unless absolutely necessary. But even through the slow parts this book had me hooked! Especially after Elisa was kidnapped from her room at the palace. At first I was all like what the heck is going on but then when she is taken to the village that her new country isn't helping, and she decided to help it made the book even better. She really took on her role as the chosen one and tried to help everyone she could. 

I was so interested in this story of the impending battle with Invierne! I was so curious about how they got this magical power, and how they were able to defeat everyone they fought with. It was even more interesting when Elisa, Humberto and Cosme (and others) set out to spy on the Invierne camp, especially after the Inviernes found them! I was so furious! They were pretty sneaky in getting to their hideout so it made sense that someone sold them out when it was brought up. And after said person was seen in the Invierne camp when Elisa was able to break free from her captors, I was 100% sure it was betrayal. I also loved the plan she came up with (with Humberto & Cosme's help) to make the Inviernes allies be turned against them. It was great, and it worked! I was also shocked to find out how the Invernies were getting there power. It made me question if people were being born with Godstones on both sides of the war. The ending... The ending was bittersweet for me. I was really sad about the certain someone who lost their life but I was very happy that Elisa was able to save the country from the Inviernes. I can't wait to read The Crown of Embers!

5 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)