Ashes (Ashes Trilogy #1)
Author: Ilsa J. Bick
Publisher: Egmont USA
Publication Date: September 6, 2011
Pages: 480
Source: E-Book/Library

It could happen tomorrow . . .

An electromagnetic pulse flashes across the sky, destroying every electronic device, wiping out every computerized system, and killing billions.

Alex hiked into the woods to say good-bye to her dead parents and her personal demons. Now desperate to find out

what happened after the pulse crushes her to the ground, Alex meets up with Tom—a young soldier—and Ellie, a girl whose grandfather was killed by the EMP.

For this improvised family and the others who are spared, it’s now a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human.

Author Ilsa J. Bick crafts a terrifying and thrilling novel about a world that could be ours at any moment, where those left standing must learn what it means not just to survive, but to live amidst the devastation.


Review: OMG! My heart was pounding throughout the entire book! This book was soooooo good! This book had some really gritty scenes that were a little hard to read (so it's not for the faint of heart), but having to read through those scenes were so worth how good the book was! Just make sure you prepare yourself ahead of time going into this book for those scenes. I don't know why I took so long to read this book! This is one of the best detailed and intriguing books I've read in a while. This book pulled you in to the point where you didn't wanna stop reading it! Like no joke, I have the review copy of Shadows (the second book) on my Kindle and I was really tempted to just skip writing my review to continue with the story (but I want everyone else to know how good this book is so I didn't put off the review :)). This whole story of the EMP taking out everything. It gave me so many questions. Like, how did this EMP attack happen in the first place? Who did it? Then there were the questions revolving around the people. Why did certain people of certain ages turn or die? What was so special about the Spared that they didn't turn? That gets addressed in the book with some realistic theories, but we don't know 100% for sure if the theory is right but after learning more about the Spared it does make sense (so unless we find out something different, I'm sticking with that idea). But more importantly, what caused those countless others Alex's age to Change? And is the change permanent or only temporary? And the even bigger question, we know the younger kids didn't change, but will they as they age? Normally I'd get annoyed to death by all these questions but with this book I'm not, it just makes me want to read the second book that much more, its made me even more excited for the second book than I already was. 

Rule. I had mixed feelings about this place. At first I thought it was a safe haven for those trying to save themselves from living in the wild always watching their back from the Changed. But then, the longer Alex was there I definitely got the feeling there was something sinister going on. At first I only thought it was the fact that they tried to pretty much keep everyone locked in but after the ending, I found out, it was something much much bigger than that. I'm not gonna spoil it for those who haven't read this book yet but you probably won't see it coming! I sure didn't. And after you read that ending it's gonna leave you nuts wanting to read Shadows (I'm seriously not joking, it's taking all my strength not to pick it up right now). 

Ellie, Tom, Chris, Jess... I really liked Ellie and Tom. I loved the three of them! They made a really good team. Even though Ellie could be a brat (hey, she was 8 years old) I still loved her. She had to deal with a lot for being so young so I understood why she rebeled a lot. Thats not normal stuff for an 8 year old to have to go through. I also liked Tom because he really tried his hardest to care for Alex and Ellie when they were all each other had. They became like a family and it was so heartbreaking to see Ellie taken away from them, and then Tom just disappear when Alex tried to get help for him. I so desperately want to know what happened to he both of them! I really hope we find out what happened to them in Shadows. Chris. I kinda liked him, but he seemed like a follower. Just doing what he was told. I have hope that he'll break out of it and go after Alex but I guess we'll have to see if that happens. Jess. I don't even know what to think of this woman. First she's all "you must follow the rules," then she's all like "sometimes you have to break the rules" and helping Alex try and get out. 

5 Stars!

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)