Today is the 10th anniversary of the attacks on the twin towers. The day that stopped our country in its tracks. I still remember all the events of the morning of September 11, 2001.

I was in 3rd grade at the time. I had just turned 8 a couple days before. That morning me and my mom were waiting with my sister for her bus. When she got picked up her bus driver asked if we had heard what happened in New York. We said no, and she told us. After that we ran inside and turned on the news. The pictures of the twin towers on fire were just horrifying. I'll admit it. As an 8 year old I was pretty scared. You see, I had only moved to Arizona a couple months before in April of 2001. Before that I lived in Connecticut, only a state away from New York. I was scared out of my mind in Arizona, I could only imagine how scared I would have been if I still lived on the East Coast, so close to what happened. Anyways, back to that morning. We were watching the news, now, I don't remember clearly if we had tuned in before or after the second tower was attacked, I think it was right before because I swear I remember watching the plane hit the second tower live. I don't know if I did or if I remember that just because of all the replays but I think I watched it live. It was just horrifying, especially after learning that it was a terrorist attack, then learning about Flight 93 going down and the attack on the Pentagon.

I still went to school that day. It was just so... I don't know how to describe it. The class was silent. In shock. My teacher had the news on all day. We really didn't do anything that day. It was more of just silent staring at the TV. It was at school that I found out the Towers had completely collapsed. If our day was bad already, that just made it even worse. I remember some people in my class looked like they wanted to cry, I was among those. I didn't completely understand all of what was happening but I knew enough to know that it was bad. The day went on and it was just gloomy.

Its been 10 years today. Today we remember all the people who lost their lives; first responders, citizens and the soldiers fighting the war as a result of this event. I pray for the families of the victims of 9/11.

I went to church this morning. Now, I'm not trying to push religion down anyone's throat but I just wanna share the message this morning. It is entitled Reflections on 9/11: A Christ Followers Response and there was a few main points.
  • 1. We must not be naive about evil
  • 2. We must not be numb to evil
  • 3. We must combat sin with the right weapons
  • 4. We must look at all people through the eyes of Jesus

I really liked the message. Especially points 2 and 4. Number 2. My pastor explains how some people just ignore all the bad things like they never happened because its easier that way. Because some people think its easier not knowing about the bad things than knowing about them and dealing with them. I personally think its better to know even if its bad. And number 4. My pastor explains how so many people look at Muslims with disgust and hatred because of the religion being tied to terrorists. Not all muslims are bad, we need to stop looking at all of them as a whole badly.

I just thought I'd share that. I think that message really ties into life whether you do or don't believe in god.

No comments:

I love reading your comments! I try my best to reply to them in a timely manner. :)